Get a Card
Benefits for Library Card Holders
There are many benefits to signing up for an Islip Public Library card. As a library member, you can:
- borrow items from our print and media collections;
- check out content from our eLibrary, including eBooks, downloadable audiobooks, and digital magazines, movies, music, and TV;
- access our research databases from home;
- take an online class through UniversalClass;
- receive homework help with a live online tutor;
- make reservations through our Museum Pass Program for complimentary admission at several cultural institutions and museums;
- borrow an item from the Library of Things;
- enjoy library programs;
- use a library computer;
- have your child participate in the 1000 Books Before Kindergarten initiative, and
- earn teen volunteer hours.
Cardholders from other libraries do not enjoy the same access to our services, programs and collections. Restrictions vary and can be explained by our librarian staff.
How do I apply for a Library Card?
At the Circulation Desk you may apply for a new card, replace a lost card, or update your current card. Library cards are free of charge to all residents and taxpayers of the Islip Union Free School District. Proof of residence and identity is required at the time of initial application and renewal. Acceptable forms of proof must include the applicant’s name and current address. Documentation with a post office box is not sufficient proof of residency. Acceptable forms of proof include:
Any one of the following:
- Current NY State Driver’s License
- Current government issued picture ID with name and address
- Current lease
- Current tax bill
Or two current items from the following that show address (not a post office box):
- Current automobile registration
- Voter Registration post card
- Auto Insurance
- Utility bill
- Credit card statement
- Cancelled check
- Bank statement
- Mail postmarked within 30 days
If you do not have these forms of ID please check at the Circulation Desk to see what else you can use. If necessary, a library mailing can be sent to your address for verification.
As a courtesy, temporary (maximum six-month) card renewals may be expedited over the phone for district residents whose cards are in good standing.
What if my library card is lost or stolen?
If your card is lost or stolen, please notify us immediately. There is a replacement charge of $1.00 for all cards. Bring in one form of identification to the Circulation Desk with your name and address on it.
How often does my library card have to be renewed?
Library cards are renewed every four years. We will ask for identification with your name and current address. The clerk will update your information in the computer and you will continue to use the same card. To renew your card it must be free of any charges.
What if I don’t have my library card with me?
You may check out items using a photo I.D. with your name and address, providing you have a valid Islip Library card on file.