Happy New Year and New Decade
Want to achieve some of your new year’s resolutions? Start at the library! Yes, we can help you!
- Get fit and have fun with instructor Joy Walker. This 9-week class series led by Joy Walker, is a low impact interval training workout. Click here for complete details! Can’t attend our fitness class? Try some of these fitness DVDs at home.
- Sleep better. Check out some eBooks or Audiobooks on Sleeping available through our Live-brary free downloads service.
- Lose weight and find the right diet that works for you! Browse our collection of books on dieting.
- Eat smarter and healthier. We have plenty of books on health and nutrition.
- Get organized -- are you downsizing, moving or have just too much stuff? If you do, we have two programs all about that!
Join instructor Cynthia Smith on Tuesday, February 25 and Tuesday, March 3. She’ll provide answers to many questions about downsizing, moving and getting rid of your stuff. Also join us for the follow-up program all about selling your stuff online. Attend one or both of the programs!
- Travel -- we have travel books available to popular United States and overseas destinations. If we don’t have a book for the unique destination you are traveling to, ask us to interlibrary loan it for you. Looking to travel with a group? The Islip Library offers bus trips throughout the year. Some of our upcoming trips:
- Riviera Holiday 2020 Philadelphia Flower Show on Saturday, March 7, 2020. Click here for complete details!
- Ellis Island / Statue of Liberty on Wednesday, April 1, 2020. Click here for complete details!
- Overnight Bus Trip to Lancaster, PA on Thursday, April 16 - Friday, April 17, 2020. Click here for complete details!
- Learn a new language. Our free database available through Live-brary called Pronunciator is a fun and free way to learn any of 80 languages with self-directed lessons, live teachers, movies, music, and more.We also have an English-Spanish Conversation Group Wednesday mornings at the library for those interested in learning English or Spanish!
- Visit a museum! Did you know that the Islip Public Library offers free museum passes and discount tickets for local and New York City area museums to Islip Library cardholders. We currently have passes available to the following museums: Fire Island Lighthouse; Intrepid Sea Air and Space Museum; Long Island Children’s Museum; Old Westbury Gardens; Sagtikos Manor (only open during the summer); Vanderbilt Museum and Planetarium. We also have discount tickets available to the Long Island Aquarium in Riverhead ($20).
- Tackle a home improvement project. Our free database, available through Live-brary called Home Improvement Reference Center includes magazine articles and reference content as well as videos and images designed to help homeowners tackle home repairs safely. This database provides the latest step-by-step information along with background information and basic tips on topics including electrical, plumbing, woodworking, outdoor projects, maintenance and decorating.
- Of course, Read! Numerous studies have shown the benefits of reading both mentally and physically:
Need some ideas for a great book to read? Stop into the library -- we have book displays, bibliographies and librarians who can help you find a great read!Our current book displays feature books on the US Constitution and on having a healthy New Year!