18 Incredible Resources & Tips for Becoming a Better Student
On this page, I’ll give you a bunch of extremely actionable tips for becoming a better student. Enjoy!
- Set realistic goals for yourself and write them down
- Stick to a routine schedule
- Get plenty of rest. The more alert you are, the better you absorb and retain information you learn during class.
- Take advantage of the services the Library offers.
- Stay after school for extra help when you need it.
- Manage your time. It’s always better to work in increments rather than procrastinating until the last minute.
- Learn how to take better notes.
- Use a calendar to keep track of your tests and activities.
- Join a club or sports team. Physical exercise keeps you energized and motivated.
- Study with your friends or start a study group. When you study in a group setting you will learn by teaching, and when you explain concepts to your group members you will absorb the information more easily.
- Work to stay healthy: eat nutritious foods, exercise, and sleep well so that sicknesses don’t keep you out of school.
- Participate in class, and pay attention to questions your classmates ask.
- Read something that interests you for 20 minutes a day - just for fun!
Use These Great Resources if You Want to Become a Better Student!
Listed below are some subscription Databases available to you (free) through the Islip Library.
Access these through our homepage www.isliplibrary.org / click on Research
You can use these resources at the Library or at home (you’ll need your library card to access from home)
- Homework Help: Interact with live tutors in math, science, reading/writing, social studies, PSAT/SAT, ACT, AP and state standardized tests.
- Skills-Building: Brush up or catch up on a subject or skill with a live tutor
- 24-Hour Writing Lab: Create a Brainfuse account and submit essays and other forms of writing for constructive feedback within one business day.
- 24/7 Homework Question Center: Create a Brainfuse account and submit homework questions to be answered within one business day.
- Foreign Language Center /Spanish-Speaking Support: Live help for your Spanish homework.
The Islip Library Teen Room provides a great place to study and do homework with your friends. There are 3 computers in the Teen Room for your use. If you prefer to use a laptop we have those too - for use in the Library. Our Mac laptops are available to run on a Windows operating system or the Mac operating system.
What to learn more?!
Attend this teen program: “Online Homework Help: Welcome Back to School” on Monday, September 12th, 7-8 pm at the Islip Library!